[3830] ARRL10 K8AJS M/S LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 K8AJS M/S LP
From: k8ajs@arrl.net (k8ajs@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:59:49 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: M/S LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   CW:    855    139
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:    855    139  =  475,936

Club: Wayne Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Station: FT1000MP running 100 watts
Antenna: 3 element quad at 60 feet
Computer: Macintosh PowerBook 400 (Firewire) running WriteLog software under
Virtual PC 4.0 emulation.

I was single operator, low power, but I was using packet so must enter in the
multi-single category.

Conditions seemed excellent all weekend. I had some local man-made noise on
Sunday, but it eventually went away and I was able to hear and work stations
with no problem.

Some of the pile-ups on the 'rare' multipliers exhibited some of the worst
operating I've seen in a while. Let's just call and call and call and keep
calling until the rest of the pile-up gives up, never stop to listen to the
station we want. Never mind if the station comes back to a specific partial
call, let's call anyway, even if our own callsign doesn't contain ANY of the
letters requested.

Apparently LISTENING to the DX is a lost art, becoming even more rare than the
DX.

In spite of all that, this is one of my favorite contests, and I enjoyed it
very much all weekend. Looking forward to next year and keeping my fingers
crossed that the propagation isn't TOO much worse then.