[3830] ARRL10 KG9X SO Mixed QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 KG9X SO Mixed QRP
From: wfs004@Motorola.com (wfs004@Motorola.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:29:54 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KG9X
Operator(s): KG9X
Station: KG9X

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   CW:    692    140
  SSB:    391    120
----------------------
Total:   1083    260  =  926,120

Club: SMC

Comments:

My first EVER QRP effort. Several thoughts.  First thanks to all of you who
took the time to try and work me ( several minutes in some cases and some
without even making confirmation after the effort! ).  The backscatter Q's with
USA are of course the most difficult to work.  Even S9 stations were at times
unable to hear me.  I actually used either the 6 or 12 dB RX attenuator
position the entire contest to try and guarantee a Q - thinking if I can't hear
you then you won't hear me.( for a while I even used 18dB out of frustration
being unable to make any contacts )  Out of all the Q's only one guy actually
gave me a report other than 59(9) and that was 579 ( not so bad! Why bother? ).

The band opens abt 30 minutes later in the morn to EU with QRP.  First EU Q
12:46 Sat & 12:44 Sun.  Those after dark burst Q's are almost nil.  I didn't
even bother trying on Sat night.  Much more antenna turning is required to get
the contact.  If I only had a good fixed SE antenna that would solve most of
the problem.  Very elated to work the following: 5B,ZC4,YB,VP8,& FR.  Missed
states RI,DC and SC - but did hear them.  Missed PEI, LAB and NWT - not heard.
The problem with working the DX heard was NOT my signal strength but working
through the pile-ups.  Most pile ups I didn't even try and just marked them for
a later try.  Late in the contest on Phone, I used the /QRP when getting nil
response in a pile up.  I know others ( QRO ) don't like this technique as one
guy voiced his displeasure from being beaten out.

Measured output of the 1000MP with an inline Bird Model 43 and a 10W 25-60MHz
slug.  5W on Bird was 10W on MP's meter - so good thing I had the Bird.  Very
little CQ'ing on my part.  On afterthought, I wish I had tried more.  One goal
I had prior to start was getting DXCC QRP.  Looks like if all Q's hold up I
just made it with exactly 100.

   Fred  KG9X