[3830] ARRL10 W1SJ SO SSB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 W1SJ SO SSB HP
From: w1sj@arrl.net (w1sj@arrl.net)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:13:17 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 27

   CW:
  SSB:   2476    148
----------------------
Total:   2476    148  =  732,896

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

Saturday conditions absolutely rocked! Monster hours to Europe all morning
with endless waves of stations from Russia and Ukraine. After sundown, the
opening to Japan was much longer than the 30 minutes we usually get in the
east. I had first day totals nearly close to the monster numbers posted in '89.
This despite the venerable TS-830 going down with a bad relay and having to
make do with a 25-year old TS520 for 3 hours (it did fine!).

Anticipation was high for Sunday's conditions. Europe was still strong and
rates were fairly high. However the rates crashed Sunday afternoon when it
was time to work stateside. I had everyone telling me how strong I was
and how clear the frequencies were, and I tried different strategies, but I
just couldn't get strong rates going. Local stations who operated mixed mode
had no trouble getting high rates. Could it be that I worked out the band by
Sunday afternoon? I saw similar conditions during the SS.

So the nearly 2500 Q's for phone only category were certainly great, but I felt
unsatisfied since 2700 Q's were possible after that first day. It's certainly
downhill from here on 10 meters for the next few years.

73, W1SJ