[3830] Stew Perry N5IA SO QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry N5IA SO QRP
From: n5ia@zia-connection.com (n5ia@zia-connection.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:38:56 -0500 (EST)
                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5IA
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SO QRP
Grid Square: DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 11

QSOs:  163  Score: 2,320

Club: Virden Contest Club

Comments:

STATION:

FT-1000MP @ 4.8 watts through a Bird 43 to a full sized 1/4 WL Ground Plane.
Four Bevs, 1-2 WL, oriented at 35, 70, 105 and 300 degrees.  Logging was done
with NA 10.50 on an Epson 25 mHz., 486 laptop.

COMMENTS:

>From my perspective the conditions were very poor.  Not nearly the number of
east coast stations in the log compared with previous years.  It seemed that
nearly everyone went to bed after 0700 and did not get up for the sunrise lift
to the west.  I logged only 36 stations after 0700 (midnight local) with many
trips from 1.801 to 1.850 without finding any new station to call.

KH6ND was the best DX.  Both he and KH7A responded on the first call.  Never
heard a EU, JA, or anything south of the equator.  XE2AC was in my backyard and
responded first call through a pileup.  I called FM5BH dozens of times spread
over 6-8 hours with no response.  I was unable to ever get even a QRZ or "?"
out of W5MX.

I listened to NL7Z call W8JI about 10-11 Z.  Both stations were 599+ here but
when Tom needs 4-5 repeats on both the callsign and the exchange I KNOW the
conditions are poor.

Dupes were at an all time low.  W5ODD called me 4 times but only three other
stations were logged twice while answering my CQs.

Thanks to all the 163 stations who made it into my log.  And thanks to the
Boring ARC for sponsoring a great one night contest to end the year.

73 de Milt, N5IA