[3830] Stew Perry K7RAT(N6TR) SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry K7RAT(N6TR) SO HP
From: tree@kkn.net (tree@kkn.net)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:28:21 -0500 (EST)
                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station:

Class: SO HP
Grid Square: CN85
Operating Time (hrs):

QSOs:  281  Score: 1,400

Club: Boring Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Rough score estimate - but I think within a few points.  Ran a KW on both 160
and 6.  Band felt like it had a big blanket over it - very quiet, with very
weak signals.  However, conditions seemed really good just before sunset as
most everyone came back to my first call.  The antenna was make-shift as I am
currently between antennas.  I ended up with a N4KG style reverse fed
ground-plane - using my 105 foot tower with a 3 element 40 on the top of it.
The feedpoint seemed to work out best around 40 feet - using just two radials
connected to the center conductor of the coax.  From there, the wet ground took
over.  Managed only about 8 JAs and nothing else out of the ordinary.  Couldn't
get FM5BH in the log.

The most fun came a couple of hours BEFORE 160 opened on Saturday, when six
meters split wide open into Japan.  The rate meter jumped up to 150/hour and
118 Japan stations made it into the log - resulting in about 1800 points on
six.  Perhaps this will qualify me for the very silly 160+6 plaque.  Having six
be part of the action is an interesting concept.  Currently, I see it as a
demonstration sport - sort of a side show.  Six meters and 160 share many of
the same qualities - that make them both feel more like how radio is supposed
to feel.  I hear lots of regular topbanders on both bands.  I am not sure Stew
Perry ever operated on 6 however...

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@kkn.net