[3830] RTTY Roundup KL7FH M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KL7FH M/S HP
From: kl9a@qsl.net (kl9a@qsl.net)
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:24:42 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KL7FH
Operator(s): KL7FH, KL9A, AL1G
Station: KL7Y

Class: M/S HP
QTH: AK
Operating Time (hrs): 21

   80:
   40:      2      2
   20:    424    424
   15:    416    416     <---Multipliers --->
   10:    390    390     W-VE    DX     Total
Total:   1232   1232      56     55      111   =  136,752

Club:

Comments:

Plenty of problems.

Blew a TS570DG. Blew a Ten-Tec Titan.  Blew the 20m amp once...luckily only a
fuse.  TS570DG blew at 3:30am local... just as we were planning on taking our
last 4 hours off.  So at least the timing was good.  AL1G drove home at 4am to
get her TS870 and arrived back a few hours later after having to put chains on
to drive the few miles out to her house.  After all that, we couldn't get the
870 to work with our equipment because the RTTY setup is completely different
from any other Kenwood! sheesh. :)  Finally setup the FT1000MP, which turned
out to only take a few minutes.  Lost 3 hours of operating time on top of our 6
hours off...  so 9 hours off total.  Figure 150 q's lost or so, maybe a few
mults.  Don't use a TS570 for Contesting... CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK31, QRP, or
otherwise.

But other than that, things were excellent.  Bands were in great shape, and the
computer worked fine.  WriteLog works well.  We took 1 hour shifts and even
worked some 6 meters while not on RTTY.

Never worked Africa, but heard CN8LI.  Also missed PY (???????), VR2 (called
us, but no QSO after several minutes.  Had all states but ND.  Worked 9
Provinces.  We wanted 1400 or 1500 q's this contest, but it wasn't in the
cards.  Best score ever from Alaska.  Maybe we can better it next year NOT
using a TS570DG!  Good job by relatively new contester AL1G too.  Looks like we
have a new competitor on our hands!

Thanks to Dan, KL7Y, for letting us use his fantastic station.

73,
Chris KL9A, Frank KL7FH, Corliss AL1G