[3830] NAQP SSB KH6DV SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KH6DV SOAB LP
From: kg6dv@cs.com (kg6dv@cs.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:52:00 -0500 (EST)
                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: KH6DV
Operator(s): KH6DV
Station: KH6DV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs): 7:45

  160:
   80:     22      9
   40:     53     24
   20:    113     45
   15:    191     48
   10:    326     59
----------------------
Total:    705    185  =  130,425

Club:

Team:

Comments:

The first hour and 20 min produced some strange propagation, signals on 10 and
15 meters were weak and had a pronounced flutter, almost like backscatter
signals. When the band cleaned up signals on 10 and 15 were amazing, very
strong, the number of mobile stations active in this event shows how popular
mobile operation has become. Curlie (K7SS/M) sitting in his driveway was S-9+,
howevere, I never did find Moe. I had to leave 20 meters early, before the band
started to really produce. High wind kept pushing my antenna over to the
Southern tip of South America and I was afraid to lock it up for fear that it
would bend the mast. The low bands did not produce anywhere near the results
they did in the cw version of this contest. 40 meters could have been good but
I couldnt stand the broadcast qrm for the time required to mine it out. Working
the mainland on 40 meters during this contest requires being on that band in
broad daylight,hours before sunset. Some stations have great ears. I believe
K9PG would respond to anyone on 40 running 5 watts to a dummy load, as long as
the coax radiates. 80 was a huge dissapointment, very little activity heard
here. There were a number of stations that had I worked them on 80, would have
been good 5-bands. The easy 5 bander was XE2/W6RW, an outstanding signal on 80.

Ron KH6DV