[3830] NAQP SSB N4VI SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4VI SOAB LP
From: n4vi@arrl.net (n4vi@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 12:36:17 -0500 (EST)

Total:    836    196  =  163,856

Club: Grand Mesa Contest Club

Team: Grand Mesa #1

Comments:

Rig: TS 870
Logging by:  TR

Antennas:

160m:    See 80m
80m:    67' Long Inverted 'L' about 40' vertical
40m:    wire dipole fed with open wire feed @ about 35'
20m:    Cushcraft D-3 about 20' high
15m:    40m dipole (worked better than D-3)
10m:    Cushcraft D-3 rotatable dipole (worked better than 40m dipole)

A tale of two contests.  First 5 hours were great and the last five hours were
headache material!

I put the D-3 dipole up Saturday morning when it occured to me I didn't get out
on 10m very well last week.  Even at 20 feet (and that's being generous) the
10m situation improved dramatically.

Either the rig or the op doesn't have the dynamic range/IMD characteristics to
cope with the low bands.  I say it's about 80/20 the rig, of course it can't
talk back except to drive me insane!

During my 1 1/2 hour break I worked on the inverted L and figured out I had a
short in the coax.  Snipping off the PL 259 and plugging the coax into the rig
fixed that problem!  Oh well, I'd have to say the inverted "L" did radiate
poorly in all directions!  More radials he said!

Struggled with motivation the last part of the test, but hung in there and did
get a decent run on 40m during the last hour.

Other interesting observations/encounters:

Lots of YL's/XYL's

Lots of Canadian activity

Thanks to K0RF for going through the bands with 10 minutes to go.  That was a
vast improvement to my rate at the time!

Lots of local activity which is great!

Grand Mesa Contest Group getting a club effort is great for Colorado.

73's and cu in the CW sprint, don't know about phone!

chris, n4vi