[3830] CQ160 CW N9RV Multi-Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9RV Multi-Op HP
From: pbarkey@bsu.edu (pbarkey@bsu.edu)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:58:58 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): +W8LVN
Station: N9RV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 28

QSOs: 1027  States/Provinces: 59  Countries: 23  Score: 209,182

Comments:

Given how bad 160 has been this year, the propagation was a
pleasant surprise.  Many EU heard the first night (DK8ZS was
one of the loudest) but not many made it into the log.  West
and Pacific propagation was outstanding.

The second night was not very good at all for DX.  Around 0300z
it started to sound better, and 4X3A came up nicely around 0330z.
But we couldn't get through the pile, and instead of peaking he
went down into the noise.  Very little EU heard thereafter.
Couldn't even get OK5R to hear me.

Only a very small handful of EU this year back here.  All I have to
say is that if you were to move from the East Coast to Indiana and
operated this contest, you would need plenty of medication!

We had some excitement the second night when the support rope for
the wire vertical broke and the SWR went infinite.  Under a bright
moon we were actually able to throw the repaired rope over a tree
in the woods.  Lost an hour 0500z-0600z, but it was more fun putting
the wire back up than it was slogging it out at 20/hr.

   - Pat
     N9RV