[3830] ARRLDX SSB N3GXY SOAB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N3GXY SOAB QRP
From: N3GXY@arrl.net (N3GXY@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:31:30 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N3GXY
Operator(s): N3GXY
Station: N3GXY

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: North Am
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    8     6
   20:   59    33
   15:  127    59
   10:  166    58
-------------------
Total:  360   156  Total Score = 168,480

Club:

Comments:

This was my first ARRL DX SSB and only my fifth contest ever.  I had a lot of
fun in the ARRL 10m test so I wanted to see what my station was capable of if I
put forth a concerted effort.  There were many, many highlights and some eye
opening revealations.  Working split on 40 was a first - it took me a while to
get the radio setup properly.  Using a good headset (Heil BM-10-4) helped keep
both hands free for tuning and logging.  Having a wonderful logging program like
WriteLog really helped to take the headaches out of operating and make the test
more enjoyable.  And of course, a great radio like the Yaesu FT-817 was a bonus.
 It's no FT-1000MP MkV and I really, really could have used some QRM fighting
tools on receive but I don't know another radio for the price like it.  As for
antennas, I used a Cushcraft R-6000 lashed to the kids swingset and a
multi-element dipole for 40, 20 and 10.

To say I worked a lot of great DX would be an understatement.  If it was'nt for
Europe, the Carribean and South America, I would not have had the score I
posted.  I did'nt hear too much of the Far or Mid East.  I did work into Japan
and Australia though.

The moments that stand out in my mind were:

1.) Late night on Saturday woking Russia, Japan and Australia on 15m after the
band had closed and having UY5EG and 8R1AK drop in for a visit.

2.) Seeing the rate meter hit 40 at times.  (I know...but it's a big deal for
me).

3.) Realizing that I was going to crack 50,000, then 75,000, then 100,000...

4.) All the great operators who had the patience and took the time to dig my
signal out of the QRM and QSB.  Thank you.

5.)  And of course, the YL for her support and understanding.  I REALLY could
not have done it without her!  Thanks Maddy!

The lowlights:

1.) Missing Z33Z - what a cool call.

2.) No Far East.

3.) Being wiped out physically and mentally after 18 hours.  I don't know how
the big SO stations can do it.

Being new to this, I hope the score holds up.  Thanks again to everyone I
worked, I appreciate your efforts and I can't wait to work you again in the next
test.

Regards,
Joel Gilly
N3GXY