[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZO SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZO SOAB HP
From: k3zo@verizon.net (k3zo@verizon.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:35:05 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZO
Operator(s): K3ZO
Station: K3ZO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: North Am
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   10    10
   80:   75    41
   40:  205    58
   20:  901    97
   15:  811    99
   10: 1162   108
-------------------
Total: 3164   413  Total Score = 3,920,196

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I lost four QSOs when we had a half-hour power outage and my computer did not
retain the QSOs that were in TR-LOG's logging window at the time.  I
remembered
the last of the five QSOs on the logging window because I had just finished a
difficult time pulling that call through when the power went off, but have no
idea who the other four are.

The humid, sometimes rainy weather, made almost all the line noises disappear
and it was a pleasure to be able to copy even the weakest signals on all  bands
except 160, where I have a new noise issue that I haven't really figured out
yet.

It was good to get so many calls from operators holding the new British
"Foundation Licence" (M3 prefix) which is issued automatically to people who
attend a full course lasting a few hours given by the RSGB.  As I understand it
applicants do not copy CW as such but are given some historical material about
the use of the Morse Code as a part of the course.  These licensees are limited
to 10 watts output but they were mostly coming in fine and doing a great job of
operating.

I spent most of Thursday in the company of CO2KK who had a bad cough and I seem
to have picked it up just prior to the contest.  I was relectant to fully treat
the cough during the contest fearing that I would fall asleep at the switch, but
now that the contest is over and I have been treating it fully I feel much
better.  Sorry to anyone who suffered because my coughing tripped the VOX as I
was waiting to call them.  Bad cough or not, it was a fabulous experience to
meet CO2KK and listen to the words of wisdom from this world-renowned antenna
and propagation expert.  A definite high!