[3830] ARRLDX SSB W7UQ(KL9A) SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W7UQ(KL9A) SOAB LP
From: kl9a@qsl.net (kl9a@qsl.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:39:49 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KL9A
Station: W7UQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Am
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:    4     4
   15:   49    14
   10:  164    21
-------------------
Total:  217    39  Total Score = 25,389

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Not really sure why I'm posting my score...

Had planned on doing the first 24 hours after being challenged by NS4W@K4UCF
(University of Central Florida).  Condx were AWESOME out here, and I was
actually having fun in a phone contest from here!  10m was amazing, and open
VERY late... it was open after I left into VU/UN/UA9,4.... KL7 style.  I guess
15 and 10 opened at midnight or so in WA and VE7/6... again KL7 style.  Very
cool!

However, there were major problems.  The TH7 apparently interacts with either
the guy wires, or the metal roof from the powerplant, and depending where I
pointed, I only got 70 watts out on 10.  It wasn't bad on 10... but 15... 15 was
bad.  From about 21200-21280 I got no more than 20 watts out, usually less.  At
about 21400 I got 40 watts, and above that it started to go down again.  20m
pointed to SA got me 100, so that was fine.  But to EU... down to 30 watts.  So
basically, I was QRP and running was impossible.  Pileups were not fun.  Who in
their right mind would do "real" QRP?????? :)  I ran on 10 for a few hours and
hit the 15m brick wall.  You know it's bad when those 30-40 over 9 guys can't
get the call!  I asked a few how loud I was, and being "very weak... five by one
on peaks"  was not good enough for a QRO M/M op as myself.  :)  Eventually the
rig got REALLY hot from the 8:1 SWR when pointed to EU or Asia, so I decided to
bag it.  At least it heard well.  Gonna bring back a REAL tuner with me after
spring break...maybe that will put things back to the way they should be.
Probably do WPX SSB from here seeing how I'm too poor to go anywhere else. :)
At least I can take 12 hours off  :)
73!
-Chris KL9A
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a