[3830] CQ160 SSB V31AH(W0AH) SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB V31AH(W0AH) SO LP
From: W0AH@AOL.COM (W0AH@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:34:25 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: V31AH
Operator(s): W0AH
Station: V31AH

Class: SO LP
QTH: V31
Operating Time (hrs): 14

QSOs: 239  States/Provinces: 39  Countries: 15  Score: 32,076

Comments:

Happiness is being a DX station!  First night was terrible with local lighting
and high QRN levels throughout Central America, the Carribean, and most of
north America.  I only made 46 contacts and went to bed early.  It was still
very noisy at sunrise.  Saturday, I improved my inverted L by increasing the
vertical component to 54' from 47', adding two more radials for a total of six
and reducing the vertical slope from about a 25 degree angle to about a 15
degree angle.  The base of the antenna was about 50' from the salt water, and
the antenna seemed to perform quite well during rather quiet conditions
Saturday night. In only several minutes of trying Monday night after the
contest, I was able to work Europe with the inverted L and 100 watts CW.
Operated at Corozal Bay Inn in Corozal Town in Northern Belize, 10 miles from
the Mexican border and on the Bahia (Bay of) Chetumal.  You may operate from
there using my antennas if you contact me (W0AH@AOL.COM).  Besides the 160M
inverted L, I left my old Hygain 18AVQ which was mounted 10' from the salt
water and worked better than my beams do back home! Also left a 3 el 6M beam
and a 10 el 2M beam -completed 5 high speed meteor scatter (WSJT) contacts on
144 Mhz, the first from Belize or central America.
Thanks for your good ears!
Doug  W0AH  Woodland Park CO