[3830] WPX SSB K3ZO SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K3ZO SOAB HP
From: k3zo@verizon.net (k3zo@verizon.net)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:12:47 -0800

          10: 4-el W6PU dual-driven Quad @ 78'

Times off:  30 March:
          07:27-10:57
          17:00-18:33
            31 March:
          02:48-07:02
          09:23-11:13
          22:50-24:00

With the rotor on the quad pretty much inoperable I kept the quad pointed at
Europe which was probably a good idea anyway.  With the K index at 3 and 4
for much of the weekend I worked no JA's on 10 and few anywhere else (though
Indonesia and Thailand stations were loud on 10 the second day during the
European opening).  My 20-meter Yagi, which is too high to be much good at
this point in the sunspot cycle, turned out to be a killer in the wee hours
of the morning under these disturbed conditions.  My score was up from the
last couple of years because I disciplined myself to run, run, run rather
than doing much S&P, not to change bands as long as the rate clock stayed
above 100, and not to waste too much time on the low bands even though DX
QSOs were worth twice the points.  The humid weather on Sunday knocked out
most of my line noise and made it possible to pull in stations I would not
normally hear.