[3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP
From: N4TZ@arrl.net (N4TZ@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:49:34 -0800
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KS9K
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: INDIANA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    9
   80:   71
   40:   53
   20:  241
   15:  420
   10:  712
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Interesting to see many of the East Coast crowd crowing
 over the great conditions this contest weekend.  From
 here, it was definitely a mixed bag.  The conditions
 didn't seem as good as last year, since I couldn't find
 as many people to call while searching and pouncing.
 Therefore, I had no choice but to call CQ.....

 I spent the same total amount of time on each of the
 four lower bands, 160, 80, 40 and 20 meters, as last year,
 but had fewer contacts on each of those bands.
 I spent two hours less time on 15 with about the same
 average hourly rate as last year.  I used the two extra
 hours Sunday on 10 meters, with substantially more time
 spent CQing (because of the lack of prey for S&Ping).
 As a result, I worked about 250 more Europeans on 10
 than I did last year.

 My best run occured 2300z Saturday to 0100z Sunday on
 15 meters working a mix of JAs and west coast types.
 JA activity heard here was way down on 10 meters after
 the initial burst at the beginning of the contest
 Friday night.

 Sunday I was plagued with a constant S3 atmospheric
 noise from all directions (most of the day) and on
 all bands.  The DSP in the rig helped some.

 My score improved over last year for three reasons: more
 contacts on 10 meters, which resulted in more prefixes.
 Third, I worked about 20 percent fewer stateside
 stations (I couldn't find any new ones to work in
 my S&Ping), so the points per contact increased.

 As a low power operator, it will be hard to say
 farewell to 10 meters.