[3830] WPX CW DL3YBM SO(TS)AB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DL3YBM SO(TS)AB HP
From: gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de (Prof. Dr. Andreas Gissel)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 13:39:32 +0200
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 2002

      Call:      DL3YBM
      Category:  Single Operator (TS)
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      CW
      Country:   Fed. Rep. of Germany

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160       37       71   1.9       11
       80      204      441   2.2       86
       40      261      841   3.2      150
       20      423      859   2.0      152
       15      465      893   1.9      164
       10      240      404   1.7       57
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1630     3509   2.2      620  =   2,175,580

Equipment Description: Transceiver: FT 920
                       Linear:      TL 922
                       Ant:         3 el triband yagi
                                    vertical on 40
                                    inv L on 80 / 160

Club Affiliation: RRDXA

Comments:

My first serious go in the WPX.
The family decided they would rather go into exile than support my activity,
so they went to visit some friends in France while I drove to my parent's
home which is the contest location.

160 and 80 sounded a lot like summer's already started (not that you could
tell from the wx). 10 was very poor on Saturday with just 30 or so mults
being worked, so I decided I would give it another try early Sunday.
Sure enough the band started great with lots of both EU and AS. I parked on
28011 for maybe an hour, worked around 150 Q's with lots of mults from JA
and was hoping for a great opening to the US in the afternoon. That opening
never materialized, however, and I didn't work a single US contact on 10. We
probably better adjust ourselves to these condx for the coming gloomy period
of low sunspots ;-)

15 and 20 turned out to be bread-and-butter bands for me, with some nice
polar-path openings on both.

All in all lots of fun like always, especially so since I didn't toast the
rig the second night when the feedline from the matching-network to the inv
L on 80 broke, thus trying me to tune the wet lawn instead of the antenna.
At least now I know that this works as an RX-antenna, only!

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Prof. Dr. Andreas (Andy) Gissel  DL3YBM
               Zum Seeblick 36
               Haltern   45721