[3830] WPX CW WL7E(@KL7Y) M/MAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WL7E(@KL7Y) M/MAB HP
From: kl7y@alaska.net (kl7y@alaska.net)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 23:03:31 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WL7E
Operator(s): WL7E, KL7Y, WA2GO, KL7FH, KL9A, KL2A & AL1G
Station: KL7Y

Class: M/MAB HP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs): 47

------------
  160:   12
   80:  131
   40:  576
   20: 1968
   15: 2284
   10:   94
------------

Club:

Comments:

160     FT-920         76CA         Inv Vee, shunt-fed tower
80      FT-990         AL-1500      slopers
40      Mark V         Titan        3 el yagi
20      Mark V         ACOM 2000    205BA, 204BA
15      FT-1000MP      Alpha 77D    4 x 155CA
10      FT-1000MP      Titan        4 x 105CA

Generally poor condx, our QSO totals were way below expectations.
10 meters did open, but never to any well-populated areas.  Most
of the 10 m QSOs were on backscatter.  Low bands seemed much better
the second night, but not much action down there.  Either the skip
was real selective or there just wasn't much activity.  We worked
East Coast QRPers on 80 and 40, but never got anything going.  20
and 15 started slow and stayed that way for much of the contest,
although there was one good opening to Europe on Sat night. The JAs
were conspicuous by their low participation.

Lots of problems.  Only 3 ops for the first few hours of the
contest and were shorthanded a lot.  Packet down at the start for
several hours, too.  Took a power hit the second day and lost one
rig and one amp.  Spent some time on 20 without an amp.  Interstation
interference got real bad at one point with every band clobbering
every other band.  Finally shut all the transmitters down and began
troubleshooting.  Found one loose coax connector on 10m which seemed
to be the problem - even though 10m was not transmitting!  Then right
near the end we took another power hit followed by a total loss of
electrical power with 32 minutes left in the contest.  The power did
not come back on until well after the contest was over.

On the good side, CT 9.58 ran error-free and, except for a few crashes
on one computer, all the computers ran well.  All of the ops hung in
there despite poor conditions, lack of relief operators and not much
sleep.  We felt we had a pretty good team and a pretty good setup,
it was just too bad we didn't some conditions to show our stuff.

de KL7Y