[3830] WPX CW ZC4DW(G0DEZ) SO(TS)AB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WPX CW ZC4DW(G0DEZ) SO(TS)AB LP
From: dez@cytanet.com.cy (dez@cytanet.com.cy)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 23:47:47 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ZC4DW
Operator(s): G0DEZ
Station: ZC4DW

Class: SO(TS)AB LP
QTH: Eastern SBA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Murphy struck big time.

Things began pretty well for the first 3-4 hours with the score up on 2001.
Everything looked promising... until the first band change, when the PC locked
up with RFI. This was despite thoroughly checking the station on all bands the
day before the contest. Problem was inter-connecting leads, so each time I
changed bands I had to re-route the leads to keep the keying stable.
Consequently I was reluctant to QSY whilst things were running smootly and
missed a great 15m opening the first morning.

Day 1 seemed to have the better propagation, 15m was very busy over the entire
weekend, but for some reason I just couldn't get the decent 15m runs going
like
last year. I managed 300 QSO's less on 15m than in 2001, and this hurt.

10m opened both days to Northern Europe, and the sporadic-e was a welcomed
bonus. But VO1MP was the only North American to make it into the log on 10m.
Respect.

20m was in good shape, and I had a great JA opening the 2nd evening. Although
Asia only count 1 point, there were some juicy mults.

Couldn't get a decent 40m run going, except for the first hour of the contest.
Every other visit to 40m was S & P.

Hit 80m for the final hour just for fun - and was pleasantly surprised! 70/hr to
wrap things up, including VK3 who was 2 hours after his sunrise... hmmm...
not convinced with that one at all!

Biggest disappointment was a total power failure in ZC4 on the afternoon of day
2. ZC4BS/QRP was also hit. We lost the electricity supply for 2-3 hours, and
consequently could not achieve the full 36 hours. With no power, I sat on the
patio, watched the sun set, whilst strumming away on the guitar.

High point was working ET and R1M for new ones. Thanks to all who called!

FT-1000mp
Inverted-L
100 W