[3830] ANARTS NR1DX SOST HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ANARTS NR1DX SOST HP
From: nr1dx@arrl.net (nr1dx@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:40:55 -0700
                    ANARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: NR1DX
Operator(s): NR1DX
Station: NR1DX

Class: SOST HP
QTH: USA, NH
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Radios: SO2R

   80:    0     0     0
   40:    5    13     5
   20:  198  3595    60
   15:  245  4423    58
   10:    7   127     4
-------------------------
Total:  455  8158   127  Continents = 6  Total Score = 6,271,096

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Lots of firsts for me
1) First time I've ever worked this contest..was fun
2) My first RTTY contest with Writelog
3) My first RTTY contest with MMTTY
4) My first SO2R RTTY contest operation.

Spent the better part of Thursday and Friday till midnight(installed the second
sound card on Friday morning for the first time)  trying to get all the
operating set-up bugs,RF lockups etc out of the SO2R/MMTTY/Writelog combo..final
success came around 9:30 Saturday morning so I missed the first 12 hours
entirely.

Once things were ironed out though things rolled along very well considering the
relatively poor band conditions. The relative slow pace was a blessing and
allowed me to get my "sea-legs" using all the new software plus figure out a
SO2R operating style that worked for me.

Much thanks to:
WA9ALS for his suggestions, his SO2R web page and his encouragement.

W5XD for a fine program which has come along ways since I saw the early beta
versions 10 years ago when I lived down his way in Austin, TX.

K5DJ one of the best RTTY contestors ever who I got the RTTY bug from back at
that same Austin location, pity poor Ron, he spends so much time answering
Writelog emails he hardly contests anymore.

AA5AU whose setup pages are a lot more useful than the Writelog manual on
setting up the message buffers.

Equipment setup:
Position 1:
Kenwood TS-950SDX
Kenwood TL-922A (650W out on RTTY)
Force12 C3S at 50'
40M inverted V at 65'

Position 2:
Kenwood TS-870
Kenwood TL-922A (1KW RTTY, low duty cycle S&P)
Butternut HF6-v vertical

Computer:
"Home Brew" P-III/800MHz ASUS motherboard
10 serial ports (MB+ 2 SiiG 4 port cards)
2 Parrallel Ports (MB+SiiG)
2 Sound cards (SB16-ISA, SB-PCI128-PCI)
Software (WIN98SE - Wriltelog 10.32E + MMTTY)

Dave
NR1DX

"The bad news is...life is hard"
"The good news is ... life is short"
"The moral is ..chase DX and contest often...eat dessert first!"