[3830] IARU DL3YBM SO CW HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU DL3YBM SO CW HP
From: gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de (gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:37:33 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: DL3YBM
Operator(s): DL3YBM
Station: DL3YBM

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Haltern
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    31    0      21
   80:   137    0      40
   40:   309    0      45
   20:   434    0      70
   15:   286    0      56
   10:    36    0      15
---------------------------
Total:  1233    0     247  Total Score = 1,050,491

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Equipment Description: FT 920 and TL 922
                       3 ele triband yagi for 10, 15, 20 mtrs
                       vertical for 40 mtrs
                       inv L for 80, 160 mtrs

Comments:
Had a blast!! Never thought I could break last year's score under these condx,
let alone exceed 1 million pts. 10 meters was a total desaster, had 6 Q's on
Saturday evening and didn't improve much on Sunday.

However, a log analysis shows that I did much better this year on 160 (which
doesn't mean I did score big time here, anyway), had a big improvement regarding
the points per QSO ratio on 80 and 15 plus a dramatically improved number of
mults on 20. Once I found that I actually had a chance to surpass a million
points I pushed real hard. Hardly lifted myself out of the chair at all for the
whole contesting period, and finally reached the new goal with 40 minutes to go.

Once again learned that persistance does pay off, as the preparation for this
contest was sheer horror. First it took me 7 hours to get the inv L for 80/160
up and running (compared to the usual 1.5 hours). Second, I lost an inlay during
lunch, so in addition to setting up the station I had to squeeze in a quick
visit to the dentist on Friday. Guess he thought I have a much more severe
mental problem when I tried to explain him what I was up to during the weekend.
But in fact this analysis is pretty much in accordance with what my XYL thinks,
so I'm kind of getting used to that, hi.

Anyway, this was big big fun. Special thanks go to my XYL (who once again let me
play radio while she took care of our 10 month old soon-to-be-second op) and my
mum who coordinated my antenna-building efforts and provided that badly needed
coffee in the wee hours of early Sunday morning.