[3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (aa5au@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:05:57 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   80:   70    30
   40:  130    46
   20:  150    45
   15:   88    37
   10:   16    14
-------------------
Total:  454   172  Total Score = 78,088

Club:

Team: Porch Dogs

Comments:

I didn't know if I was going to be able to operate this one full time or not.
I was on-call at work, and despite many of you thinking I was "shagging", I
did get very lucky and did not have a single trouble call on Saturday.

I had a major outage that affected 3 oil rigs for Chevron-Texaco Friday night
that kept me up 'til 2 a.m.  I thought it was going to ruin the whole weekend
but I was lucky.  Rebooted the mux and it came back up.  Whew!  I didn't have a
spare!

Anyway, the contest started off slow and got worse.  I was maintaining about
66 Q's an hour when the flare hit at 2107Z.  No signals anywhere on any band.

I had lost my Linksys Internet router Saturday morning, so I ran to Best Buy
and
purchased another one and installed it only to find out that the only thing
wrong with my old one was the power cube was not putting out enough voltage.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

When the bands died, I figured they wouldn't by down for too long.  An hour
later there were signals on 20 so I restarted after a 70 minute "rest period".
Things really didn't get very good the rest of the way.  40 started up about
2330Z, so said goodbye to 15M which was dead anyway.  Nice finding KH6ND
before
I left though.  Left 20 for good at 0142Z and concentrated on 40 and 80 the
rest of the way.  Man were the low bands noisy or what?  It was a struggle.

Only really weird thing was JA1BHK calling me on 20 at 2048Z.  That's a very
strange time for JA here, but then again, these were very strange condx!

Never did hear 8P6SH.  5K0Z was a surprise on 15 & 20.  KH6ND on 40 right at
the end was my last multiplier.  Took 30 minute break to eat pizza at 0009Z so
ended the contest at 0529Z.  Thanks to AA9RR, VA3DX, W4LC, N0AC & PJ2EL for
5 band QSO's.

Thanks to everyone who worked me.  It was nice to see both familiar calls and
new ones alike.  Despite the poor condx, I still had a good time.

73, Don AA5AU