[3830] IOTA VE3KZ SO12CW HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IOTA VE3KZ SO12CW HP
From: ve3kz@rac.ca (ve3kz@rac.ca)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 08:28:36 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VE3KZ
Operator(s): VE3KZ
Station: VE3KZ

Class: SO12CW HP
QTH: Milton, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:    4        4
   40:   41       24
   20:  208       46
   15:  284       37
   10:
Total:  537      111      0        0  Total Score = 415,251

Club:

Comments:

QSB and QRN! What a combination! I don't recall having this much copy trouble in
a contest before. Lots of "now you hear them now you don't" going on. My hats
off to the QRP ops in this one! I hope I actually worked a decent proportion of
those that called.

The daily SSN was up to 320 but with the high K index, we were in for trouble. I
was in the same entry category last year and the first hour previewed the
conditions, 48 QSO's on 20m vs 115 QSO's on 15m in 2001! 15m was dead at 12z.

Missing in action: OC, 10m and almost AF except that EA8ZE was one of my 4 QSO's
on 80m! Go figure.

The QSB knocked out pieces of calls and serial numbers on all bands. The QRN was
epidemic on 40 and 80. I went QRT at 04z with 12 hours in the log and was
thankful to leave the low bands. A monster thunder storm struck about an hour
later. Not a big surprise!

Europe was of course where the multipliers were, EU 64, NA 33, SA 7, AS 6, AF 1.
NA Island activity seemed to be up. With conditions as they were, single hop to
portable stations was much easier than trans-Atlantic to the same. (Yes, it
takes more than one hop to VE3!)

Thanks again to the organizers. Now we just have to make World participation
more interesting for us "Big Island" people. How about EU-000, NA-000, AS-000
and AF-000? Just for the contest?

73 Bob VE3KZ
ve3kz@rac.ca