[3830] WAE CW GW7X(GW3NJW) Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WAE CW GW7X(GW3NJW) Single Op HP
From: gw3njw@arrl.net (gw3njw@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:01:37 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: GW7X
Operator(s): GW3NJW
Station: GW3NJW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 33

   80:   25    29    11
   40:  164   269    37
   20:  144   190    44
   15:  118   207    43
   10:   25    30    11
-------------------------
Total:  486   725   146  Total Score = 424,008

Club: Contest Cambria

Comments:

Antenna already broken, conditions broken, then at 0001z found Writelog 10.34
was also broken. Felt like wrapping it in and getting some sleep.

However this is far and away the best contest in the calendar, which always
demands of me- as an operator- a bit more than I have in the tank; well OK then
quite a lot more, you're right, but don't rub it in!.

QSOs down by about 11% overall this year, but it is not clear how much is due to
the broken antenna ( like 7:1 SWR at worst!), and how much to the poor
conditions, a bit of both I suspect. Lost about half the 15m QSOs from last
year, about the same for 10m, which is never good in August. 20m was also down,
although not as much, and it was most noticeable that the VE3s had auroral
flutter, which the East Coast US did not. 40m took up some of the slack, but
just not enough. 80m was OK, but the QRN was murder..

Highlight- increased activity fron Africa.

Lowlight- Missing JA on 40m, then afterwards ( when the band was closed)
realising that I had failed to remember how broken the verticals were, and that
I  had to fire 180 degrees from the switch position. Thus I was spraying the RF
on the LP, which of course wasn't open! Oh well, at least I got a few LUs just
afterwards!

Soooh I celebrate my 60th birthday by missing a lot of sleep, and staying glued
to the radio; is this a sign of impending dementia? Well so what, there are
probably worse ways, allegedly.

Station
_______

TS870, Alpha 78

Antenna- Crippled W1CF/Butternut hybrid array.

Writelog 10.34B ( don't even think about it! Stick with 10.33)

73

Clive
GW3NJW