[3830] NAQP SSB W0ETT/M Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W0ETT/M Single Op LP
From: w0ett@arrl.net (w0ett@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:31:30 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W0ETT/M
Operator(s): W0ETT
Station: W0ETT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WY
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:   35    20
   20:  207    37
   15:   40    20
   10:
-------------------
Total:  282    77  Total Score = 21,714

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GMCC Horsethief Pass

Comments:

Nice wx for a drive to Cheyenne, WY where I sat in the car and operated for 10
hours (you have to leave the center's parking lot every 4 hrs but can come back
per park rules -- gave me a chanch to head over to nearby Mc Donald's and
refuel).  Condx were nil on 10m, good on 15, very good on 20m, and okay on 40m,
altho it probably had a lot to do with my small (poor) HF mobile whip on top of
the Ford Escape.  At least it was tunable using the FT100d and a lot of guys
wanted to QSY to the other band for a contact.  Early on, K5WA suggested hooking
the FT100D directly to the 12v battery to improve the audio.  Did that and got
good audio reports subsequently - thanks Bob!

Missed the big TH7DX yagi at 72 ft back home near Denver.  But, managed to work
a bunch of stations who had good ears for my weak mobile signal.  Was fun and
would recommend others try driving/operating at a somewhat rare section whenever
they want a change of pace.  In this NAQP, W1, 2, 3, and VE were very rare -
perhaps condx contributed to my missing the eastern stations or, again, the lack
of a yagi.

Our Grand Mesa Contest Club managed to field two ssb teams which is a big
improvement over past years efforts out here in NAQP.  This is an enjoyable
contest and reminds me of the old CD parties of long ago.

73 Ken, W0ETT/m