[3830] OhQP K8MR/M Mobile LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8MR/M Mobile LP
From: jimk8mr@aol.com (jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:09:09 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR/M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 19 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   40      0
   40:  491     87
   20:  209      2
   15:   36      3
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  776     92  CW Mults = 53  Ph Mults = 32  Total Score = 139,740

Club: Northern Ohio DX Assn

Comments:

By County:

        CW   SSB
CARR    33   1
TUSC    22   3
HARR    45   5
GUER    14   0
BELM    34   4
MONR    27   2
NOBL    37   1
MORG    56  18
WASH    43   3
ATHE    40  12
MEIG    64   8
GALL    50   3
JACK    56  16
LAWR    42   4
VINT    46   0
HOCK    44   1
FAIR    25   0
PERR    63   2
MUSK    48   9

Big ugly sunspot 69 had been tracking across the sun for two weeks, and was just
about out of sight when Murphy set it off for an X-3 class flare at 0110 Z
Saturday.  Though the flare had subsided by OQP time, it left an S3 class solar
storm in its wake, which produced some wierd though generally usable conditions
for the OQP.

Close in stuff was very weak on 40 during the daytime. It was tough working the
home stations, and impossible working the other mobiles.  I had no qsos with any
other mobiles. The out of state guys, a few hundred miles further away, were
more workable though not always loud. The high bands were long as well; FL was
loud on 20, but nothing shorter like say NC or WI. 15 had good signals from
CA/OR/WA/VE7 (and later, from western EU), but again nothing closer.

Coolest encounter: just after entering Lawrence county, while zipping down the
road we noticed a parked minivan with a mast and dipole.  We turned around and
went back, and met K8RYU who was just starting to take down his stuff.  We said
hello, and persuaded him to put the antenna back up long enough to work him on
both CW and SSB.

Thanks to all who participated. Good out of state activity from SMC, TCG, NCCC,
and especially FCG.

Next road warrior trip, Pennsylvania in October.

73  -  Jim  K8MR