[3830] OhQP K8CC/M Mobile LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8CC/M Mobile LP
From: k8cc@comcast.net (k8cc@comcast.net)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:04:56 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8CC/M
Operator(s): K8CC, W8MJ
Station: K8CC

Class: Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:   16      0
   40:  468    110
   20:  178     21
   15:    8      7
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  670    138  CW Mults = 57  Ph Mults = 39  Total Score = 141,888

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: IC-756, Dell Laptop, NA Software
Antennas: 80 and 40 HamSticks, Hustler Tri-mount for 20/15/10

We operated from 23 counties in northwestern and central OH over the twelve hour
contest period.  The overall route was approximately 550 miles in-state; with
summertime road construction which is common in this area, it was a big
challenge to complete in time.

The biggest problem we've had in years past (this was our eighth QSO party
operated mobile) is RF noise from our logging laptop's 12V power brick.
Different grounding strategies and even different bricks provided no
improvement.  K8MR offered us some deep-charge 12V batteries from a large
commercial UPS system.  We carried a pair of these in the Jeep's rear cargo
area, charging one from a power outlet while using the other to power the
laptop.  Each battery successfuly ran the laptop (approximately 1.5A drain) for
more than six hours.  The RF noise was non-existant.

Operating on 7 MHz during the day, condx seemed very poor with the bands
sounding empty much of the time.  We were definitely hearing better than we were
being heard on SSB, as we'd call people repeatedly and have them CQ in our
face.

14 MHz was better, but absorption seemed to limit us to working the midwest and
southeast.  Around 20Z we tried 21 MHz for the first time ever while mobile and
found good signals to the West Coast (W7OM said we were S8!).  We'll definitely
try this band earlier and more often next year.  In years past, as soon as it
got dark local (~ 00Z) we would switch our second antenna mount from the high
bands (20M, or 20M/15M/10M) to 80M.  This time, we stuck with 20M later and were
rewarded with good rates, including EU DX on both modes.

Activity seemed a lot higher this time, with multiple QSOs with a number
unfamiliar callsigns.  Lots of good numbers towards the end from the
out-of-state contingent; we worked more than a half dozen over 200.  A few years
ago that would be the winning score.

Thanks to everyone who took time out from their weekends to pull our mobile
signal out of the noise.

73,

Dave/K8CC
Ken/W8MJ