[3830] NA Sprint CW VE7ASK LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW VE7ASK LP
From: ve7ask@rac.ca (ve7ask@rac.ca)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 21:59:44 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

   80:   6        3
   40:  13        5
   20:  26        7
---------------------
Total:  45     Mults = 15  Total Score = 675

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Wow... now I know what they mean when they say this is the toughest contest
around. The QSY rule sure takes some getting used to for a first-timer. Lurking
and waiting to pounce, I got beat out almost every time by faster ops -- but I'm
learning. Slowly.

Started out with a 20M dipole, and five-band trapped vertical on the ground.
Took half an hour to realize the antenna switch had me running 20M on the lousy
vertical instead of the dipole. Click.

The vertical needs a few more radials buried in the lawn. It hears OK but
doesn't radiate much. With 1.5 hrs to go, I recruited a 7-year-old helper and
ran out and dropped the mono dipole. We pulled the G5RV into the air to work 40
and 80 (my back-up plan if the vertical wasn't doing the job). It helped a
teensy bit over the short vertical.

Heard fluttery stations on 20M around 0300z, but of course by then most had gone
to the lower bands. Thought 40M sounded good, and the activity on 80M surprised
me.

Will be back for more -- hopefully much more -- next time.

73,

Bud, VE7ASK