[3830] NA Sprint CW AA4LR LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW AA4LR LP
From: AA4LR@arrl.net (AA4LR@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:01:24 -0700
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   24     0.7
   40:   56     1.5
   20:   45     1.8
---------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SS Sprint Coaltn #4

Comments:

Equipment:
TS430S, AT-250, Murch UT-2000A, 100 watts output.
Homebrew keyer
AE6Y Software

Antennas:
A3S @ 49.5 feet (20m)
40m 1/4 wave sloper @ 40 feet (40m)
80m doublet @ 35 feet (80m)

Comments:
Once again, Bill W4AN organised teams, and I volunteered. Since my last outing
netted 75 Qs, I signed up for a repeat, but my real goal was to break the 100 Q
barrier. I simply needed to maintain a rate of 25 Q/hr for four hours. Easy,
right? No. This is the sprint -- the hardest doggone contest out there. And low
power to boot.

First hour was slow with 23 Qs, but picked up 30 Qs int the second hour, and 36
Q/hr the last two hours. I suppose I'm learning. W4ANs tips from last year are
still effective. Glad to finally be in 3-digit range.

Got annoyed on one occassion when someone answered my CQ at a slightly faster
speed than I was sending. He then ripped through the exchange, and I got only
part of the number and name. Here I am sending "NR" and he starts a QSO with
next guy. They seem oblivious to my "NR NR NR". Guys, the QSO ain't over until
the CQing guy sends something to acknowledge the end. That effort will be
rewarded with a Not-In-Log.

Interesting on the mults. I got 36, but many of the top scorers only got 42-44.
Seems like I missed some easy mults like AL, KY, MI.

You know, a few years ago, many of the top ops did the sprint low-power. While I
don't expect them to do it again, it might be nice to try a speed-limit sprint
-- like 20-25 wpm max. I'm sure the top ops would fall asleep, but it would be
different.