[3830] Salmon Run K7ED/M(WA0RJY) MobileMixed LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run K7ED/M(WA0RJY) MobileMixed LP
From: oolon@yahoo.com (oolon@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:45:20 -0700
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: K7ED/M
Operator(s): WA0RJY
Station: K7ED

Class: MobileMixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
--------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Wow.

First off, my thanks to Andy, K7GEX, for the loan of the Icom 706, to Rick,
KT7G, for the loan of the 75 meter hamstick, to John, KE7V, for the loan of the
antenna analyzer, and to Ward, N0AX for putting up with the multiple emails,
phonecalls and chats on getting it all put together.

875 miles later, the K7ED mobile superstation can report...

18 counties activated (Clallam, Jefferson, Mason, Kitsap, Gray, Thurston,
Pacific, Lewis, Cowlitz, Clark, Klickitat, Skamania, Benton, Yakima, Grant,
Douglas, Kittitas, and Chelan)

583 Salmon Run QSOs (294 actual QSOs - but most were "doubles" because I was on
a county line - and had 2 "quads" when I was on a county line and talked to
other stations on county lines).

71 mults (19 counties, 4 provinces, 11 DX, and 37 states)

109,488 total score

(NOTE:  These are unaudited numbers and the final totals might be slightly
different)

It was a great weekend for driving around the state.  The county lines were
relatively easy to find (only got lost once - on the backroads of the Olympic
Peninsula somewhere south of Pe Ell) and the equipment worked flawlessly.

After doing the big W7DX/m tour last year with Ward and then this year the
single-op K7ED/m tour, I would definitely recommend the multi-op version.  But I
would also say that single-op mobile is lots more fun than operating from
home.

My weekend was spent this way:  find a county line, put the hamstick antenna on
top of the car, operate for 30 minutes, take hamstick antenna off top of car,
drive 90 minutes to next county line, repeat the procedure.  Basically 90
minutes of driving interrupted by 30 minutes of operating.

In the multi-op version, one operator would operate while the other does the 90
minutes of driving.  So there seems to be a lot more activity and a lot more
fun.

Anyone that is interested in doing a mobile expedition, take heart!  If I can do
it (technically) then anyone can.  Ask me if you want to my advice about putting
your station in your car (only for the weekend - not as a permanent station!).
I didn't have to drill any holes through the engine compartment or roof!

73 and thanks for all the contacts!

 - Jack, WA0RJY, K7ED/m