[3830] CORRECTION: SAC CW K1TO SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CORRECTION: SAC CW K1TO SOAB LP
From: k1to@aol.com (k1to@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:30:48 -0700
                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, CW

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

   80:    0     0
   40:   80    28
   20:  126    39
   15:  114    35
   10:   90    35
-------------------
Total:  410   137  Total Score = 78,090

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Spent quite a bit of effort putting up some antennas for this event, since my
station is in a state of major flux this season.  Worked on the tower until
after dark several nights this week, in fact.  Ended up with: 10 - 4L @ 56',
15
- 4L @ 73', 20 - 4L @ 85', 40 - 1L @ 60' (took up the DE from a 40-2CD),
80 - nothing

I've enjoyed the SAC, particularly CW, for a long time and vowed at some point
in my life to make a serious effort at it.  Coming off the WRTC in OH seemed
like the ideal timing and I encouraged many others to get on as well in
recognition of the great hospitality and friendship shown by all of
Scandinavia
during our visit this summer.  The level of activity from WRTC participants
was
high, as there was an informal competition among the OHs to work as many of us
as possible.  It was great to hear so many familiar folks on the air!  We had
lots of Florida Contest Group activity on as well.

The effects of Hurricane Isidore were negligible during the contest (let's
just
hope that Isidore's effects on us all end up being negligible this week).  QRN
levels were lower than expected, even with no storm brewing, although I
suppose
that coming out of summer into the fall season has a lot to do with that.
Unlike W1, it is still quite hot in FL with frequent thunderstorms, so it
still
feels like summer here.  Even with low QRN levels, I listened on the EU
Beverage
on 40 all the time as it had a slightly better S/N ratio.

K7SV and I were nip and tuck on our QSO numbers well past the halfway point -
nice job Larry - then he disappeared.  Of my 410 QSOs, exactly 2 were from
answers to my CQs.  I sure tried CQing a lot, but the S&Pers just were not
there
for me.  Had 321 Qs at the halfway point and 89 the rest of the way.  Was
pleasantly surprised at how well the single 40M element worked at just 60'.  I
think I worked everything I heard on 40 with it, and in fact worked almost
everything I heard on all bands.

Seemed like pretty decent condx.  I imagine an aurora could wipe this contest
out completely, although I think that is still pretty rare in September.

For what it's worth, QSOs by country, then # of 4-banders, 3-, 2-, 1-, and
number of stations
worked:
SM - 144  13-18-13-12  56
OH - 138  18- 7- 8-29  62