[3830] CaQP K6LA Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6LA Single Op LP
From: widelitz@gte.net (widelitz@gte.net)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:06:54 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    3       1
   80:   75     149
   40:  175     138
   20:  236     419
   15:  260     465
   10:  140     394
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a contest of highlights. Got # 14 from KL7FAP @2313, my fastest sweep.
The #14 gives me a shot at the 1st to 58 Plaque I sponsor. Interestingly enough,
the 2nd to last mult was AZ and the 5th to last was Oregon!!

I don?t remember a single frequency fight, nor a single pig farmer on 75
phone.

And the seemingly 3 horse race for SOHP was a blast. I?m assuming the CQP County
sheet is correct in showing multi-ops, so stations listed as multis with higher
numbers aren?t in this race. It seems N6MJ wasn?t at W6KP (at least I never
heard Dan,) so he wasn?t in the race. Here is a list showing the intra QSO race
action from my point of view:

TIME    K6LA    N6ED    K6NA (K6LL, op)
        Ken     Craig   Dave

1632    72              74
1654    114     137
1732    204     215                     I?m catching up
2102    561     628                     I?m falling behind
0104    1151            1167            I?m holding my own
0345    1385            1400            Still holding my own
0404    1416    1484                    Haven?t lost more ground
0540    1585    1601                    Did Craig take offtime?
1601    1615                              or did I do something right?
0618    1628            1650            80 gets real good and my 1st
                                          offtime isn?t until 0755
                                        On at 1314, good 40/20 CW run
1426    1816            1798            Wow, only have 20 min off left
1449    1856    1836                    Wow, no offtime left, I?m ahead
1514    1896    1875                    Holding my own
1537    1929            1908            Holding my own
1628    2002            1970            HIGHLIGHT, Dave says ?You?re
                                          getting me pissed!? I?ve never
                                          beaten Dave head to head
1944    2299    2338                    Craig doing his thing. Will it be
                                          enough

One of the great things about CQP (and having a 2nd radio) is you can track the
other guys serial number in the exchange and see how you are doing. Assuming we
all had the sweep, as I listened to both Dave and Craig toward the end, I was
pulling away from Dave, but Craig was pulling away from me, up around 60 QSOs.
Traditionally, I get a lot more CW QSOs than Craig and about the same as Dave.
This year I got 145 more CW QSOs than last year for a total of 889. I?m hoping I
have more than 120 more CW QSOs than Craig to make up the difference in raw QSO
numbers and come out on top. But whatever the result, contesting doesn?t get
more fun than this.

Thanks to NCCC for a great party!

73, Ken, K6LA