[3830] CQWW SSB K1IR M/S HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K1IR M/S HP
From: k1ir@designet.com (k1ir@designet.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:48:47 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1IR
Operator(s): K1IR,  K1VR,  KE1J,  KM2P,  K2WR,  NR1DX,  W1VE
Station: K1IR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   12     5       11
   80:  318    18       86
   40:  222    25       96
   20:  436    34      133
   15:  748    32      133
   10:  924    34      144
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Our goals were to (1) make sure the station worked after a major rebuild, (2)
produce a good score for YCCC, and (3) have a good time. We met all our
objectives.

It's interesting to note that our experience was no different from others who
had significant equipment failures during the contest. Only about an hour before
the contest was to start, I turned on an Acom amp and it failed to make it
through its startup sequence. Luckily we had an extra amp available. I took
those precious last few moments before the contest sweating the new amp into
place instead of talking strategy with the team.

On Saturday, one of our remote antenna switches started to act funny, finally
dying out completely. Turns out a couple of highly trained engineers were able
to identify a leaky 3 cent bypass capacitor. Chopped it out and back in
business. Minimal impact on operations.

Lessons learned: Mainly one big one - when you get to 90% or 95% in completing
the station, you MUST focus on operating plans. Having a great strategy and
making good use of your operator resources in a multi-op are the critical
difference between good and great performance. We will be focusing on this
aspect more aggressively next time.

Once again, congratulations to all - winners and competitors alike!

73,

Jim K1IR