[3830] SS CW VE7ASK Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS CW VE7ASK Single Op LP
From: ve7ask@rac.ca (ve7ask@rac.ca)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 19:17:52 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:   42
   40:   97
   20:  105
   15:  102
   10:   24
------------

Club:

Comments:

Managed just over 19 hours' operating time, and tried not to miss too much
sleep. Enjoyed my first SS very much, and hit three of my goals (admittedly
modest for a first time): 300 QSOs, 70 sections, and 100 Qs on two or more bands
(made it on 10 and 15, almost did it on 40, too).

I went into this knowing for sure that I didn't have a shot at the VI or PR
sections, but ended up working both pretty easily. Even got some other tough
sections (WY, ND, SD, DEL, etc.) on Saturday night without too much trouble. But
the eastern Canadian stations just weren't coming through at all. Ended up with
8 sections still on the wish-list (NNY, RI, VT, ME, ON, PQ, NL and NWT).

Some very fine operators out there -- K3CR (WPA) comes to mind, as he managed to
get my info one piece at a time in a frenzy of stations above and below us.
Being a little signal, I didn't CQ very much -- and when I did I noticed the
frequency didn't stay clear for long. Plenty of QRP stations, and sometimes it
was hard to tell a Q from an A by ear.

My 370 QSOs is a personal best from the home station. Used a G5RV for 80/40 and
a hex-style five-band beam for 20/15/10. AE6Y software worked like a dream, even
on the shack's old P200 computer.

Trying to negotiate a kitchen pass for the WAE RTTY (will probably go without
QTCs) and then a bit of a break before CQWW CW. Sure looking forward to that.
See you there!

73,

Bud, VE7ASK