[3830] CQWW SSB 6W/F6HLC SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 6W/F6HLC SOAB LP
From: f6hlc@arrl.net (f6hlc@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 00:31:59 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 6W/F6HLC
Operator(s): F6HLC
Station: 6W/F6HLC

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Saly
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    4     3        4
   40:   15     7       10
   20:  844    21       76
   15: 1075    24       89
   10: 2653    28      111
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Arrival 2 days before the contest. Dakar airport in the middle of the night with
my wife and and my 5 years old daugther plus 98kg of antennas, rotators,
coaxial,... and 31kg of hand luggage... have to find a taxi and travel to Saly
(Le Saint Tropez senegalais), that was a first challenge.

With temperature 35°c and humidity quite 100% i put the TH3MK3 above the roof of
the house 8m agl in a dense area of small houses, average roof tops around are
6m agl.
No enough place in the backyard of the house to install good antennas for low
bands, my inverted L (7m vertical + 7m horizontal + coil at the base) sure had
40ohms of ground losses in the total 50ohms matching, it was also placed south,
close to the house...

160m: just ear D44TD at the begining of the contest. enough to understand that
is was not usefull to try more.

80m : D4, EA8, CT3,PY0f... but loose time to try better the first night:
impossible.

40m : only one QSO in zone 14... europeen are not able to ear low power signal.
I've worked more easily zone 4 and 5. KH7R was S9+ but did'nt ear my long
calls... out of the contest pile ups are ok in LP CW.

20m : the antenna was not high enough, difficult to work the mults (CN2R for
exemple was hard to QSO, when he was beaming europe) D44TD had longer opening
than me, he had a higher gain antenna and higher tower.

15m : no free frequency, difficult to keep my run freq when I was QSYing to give
the multi to someone...

10m : very good. a good score if I'm in SOSB10 LP category, but I have prefered
to give the multi on other bands.

after first night understanding it was not possible to catch someone on low
bands, i decided to have good rest and sleep 5hours, during the contest had lot
of showers, and had to drink water every 10mn.

Very happy to give 6W to a maximum of contesters.
not so bad for a family style operation, wife and daugther enjoy see and
swimming pools during all the week end.

73 de 6W/F6HLC
Christian

Antennas are in place for future operation,
if anyone is interested please contact 6W7RP, the station owner
Sites : www.africa.evasion.online.fr et www.pleinsud.online.fr
E-mails : africa.evasion@online.fr  et  locapleinsud@online.fr