[3830] WAE RTTY K1UG Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY K1UG Single Op LP
From: marc_tinkler@hotmail.com (marc_tinkler@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:32:08 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K1UG
Operator(s): K1UG
Station: K1UG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    3          0    12
   40:   47          0    75
   20:   42         20    38
   15:   25          0    38
   10:   52        130    58
------------------------------
Total:  169   0    150   221  Total Score = 70,499

Club:

Comments:

First time in WAEDC contest. First time exchanging QTC's. First time using all 5
bands in a contest...

I think they're the only firsts I'll get but what fun. I only managed
intermittent operation due to family and yard commitments but had a blast
anyway.

No Oceania or Asia for me but it's a modest set-up and operating times were not
optimum from my location.

Station:
Icom 706 II G (the 350Hz filter was a must)
1/2 size G5RV (yes it was a dummy load on 80!)
50 watts (or less due to RFI issues on 10M)

During Saturday evening, I did notice the front end of the 706 wilting under the
influence of many strong signals on 40 and 20 even with the attenuator switched
in. I'll be looking to upgrade the station over the next year or so. FT1000MP or
Icom 756 Pro II. I'd welcome any opinions on either sent directly to
k1ug@qsl.net

Thanks to all organizers and participants for a great weekend. Look forward to
next year either as K1UG or G0AZS depending on location.

73... Marc