[3830] SS SSB N7ON Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N7ON Single Op LP
From: N7ON@arrl.net (N7ON@arrl.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:13:18 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N7ON
Operator(s): N7ON
Station: N7ON

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Nevada
Operating Time (hrs): 20:53

------------
  160:
   80:  138
   40:   94
   20:   43
   15:  141
   10:  149
------------

Club:

Comments:

I endorse K6LL's comments regarding contest narratives.  They make good reading,
and there are things to learn and/or critique in them.  Maybe next year I'll
just submit my score, but this year I'm going to give a full report.  In that
spirit, here goes.

Rig:  TS-930
Category:  Single-op unassisted, 100w.
Antennas:  itty-bitty wires, 12' max height; also good for snaring pigeons.
Software:  miLog Ver. 5.06.  Delightful Windows-based general- and
contest-logging program.  It performed flawlessly, and I used its .wav
file-based voice keyer for the first time.  I'll always use the voice keyer from
now on. Using it was comparable to going from a straight key to an electronic
keyer on CW.  However, a few stations caught me munching and drinking a few
times while the computer did my CQing for me.

SSB Sweepstakes was absolutely delightful.  No repeat of last year's double-mode
sweep (heard but missed NL on CW), but made my earliest sweep ever on SSB this
year.

With a small stealth station, my goal each year is a sweep.  It's also nice to
help pass out Nevada.

I could tell early on by the number of active usually-rare sections that there
would be a high number of sweeps this year.  I was confident I'd make an early
sweep when I shut down Saturday night just needing GA, KY, MAR, ME, NNJ, PQ, and
WPA.  Worked all of them except GA (!?) early Sunday, and finally ran across
W4AQL at 2100z for #80.  Was everyone at the Auburn-Georgia game?  Later worked
K4BAI on 40m for a grand total of two GA QSO's.

I realize I only have 27 years' experience with Sweepstakes, but for those
worried about the current state of the contest, allow me to offer the following
observations:

--First of all, it was heartening and encouraging to hear operator courtesy,
respect, and cooperation throughout the contest.  We're not such a hard-bitten
group after all.

--SS is more than a contest.  It's a social event.  It's a delight both to work
familiar calls and to welcome newcomers.

--SS is about more than achieving a high QSO count and score.  For stations like
mine, a Clean Sweep can be a very challenging and rewarding goal, as can helping
others reach their own sweep.

--SS provides an excellent opportunity to experiment with new antennas, radios,
programs, etc.  I took advantage of SS/CW to experiment with a balloon-supported
vertical.  In SS/SSB (too windy for a balloon), I discovered I was doing a good
job of heating earthworms on 40m.  I tinkered with my antennas, started
transmitting up rather than down on 40m, and ended up with an improved signal on
40m using an antenna configuration I'll try from now on.

Now, regarding Nevada.....

I wouldn't have known NV was so rare if stations hadn't told me.  Thanks for the
heads-up.  If so many stations hadn't needed NV, I would have shut down after
completing my sweep.

Thanks to Tom, W7TTT (K5RC) for all he did to pass out NV.  I constantly ran
across him running a huge pile.  When he found me on 80m, I was so excited to
work NV I developed fat fingers and stumbled over my keyboard.  I also heard
Rich, N7TR, running stations on at least two bands, and Bill, K6GNX, cruised the
bands and passed out NV toward the end.  I worked the following NV stations:
W7TTT, KI7KG, KC6SBJ, N7TR, WA0CDY, and K6GNX.

I know W7TTT and I were on the air for long periods both days.  I wanted
everyone to work NV, and here's what I did to make NV available:

--whenever I heard W7TTT, I tried to move to a different, open band, thereby
having two NV stations CQing on two useful bands.

--I CQ'd far more than normal, usually on the highest open band, and for long
periods of time.

--Thorough search and pouncing:  I did my best to scan the bands between runs,
and ran across several "CQ Nevada" stations.  My favorite was the op at W5NN,
who said he was waiting for me to call him for #80.  After we worked he said he
was finished, was going to go enjoy a steak, and gave me his frequency.  In
fact, several CQing ops gave their frequencies to me in an effort to help others
get NV -- thanks!

--6- and 7-land:  I always worry about missing close-in sections, so I began
CQing early on 80m (0336z this year).  Very nice 80m runs before the band
lengthened.

--East of the Rockies:  made the bulk of my QSO's on 15/10m.  I'm louder and
"stand out" better on 15/10m than 20m.  No complaints, only praise for 10m; it
was very productive this year.

--Saturday afternoon:  15m is quiet and productive for coast-to-coast QSO's late
Saturday afternoon from here.  While many stations are scouring 20/40m, rare
transcontinental sections abound on 15m.

--Final run:  since W7TTT had his hands full on 20m, I decided to run on 40m for
the last hour to spread the load and give the West Coast a final opportunity to
work NV.  Best decision I made in the contest:  maintained a fairly solid run
for the final hour, received many "Thanks for the sweep" comments, and even
worked a number of stations east of the Rockies.  The 40m antenna adjustment
paid off.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

--Don't spend too long trying to work a rare section.  Move on, and you'll
probably find another station from that section or have one call you.

--If you only have one rig, use your second VFO to search for needed sections.
Don't sit on one frequency trying to work a rare section.  If there's a pile,
use the second VFO to find, monitor, and work a second needed section (sort of a
SO2R with one radio).

--Reasonably alternate S & P'ing and CQing.  Even if you're a small station,
CQing will pay off.

Asking "Nevada up five" after hearing me work someone while S & P'ing works. The
best example was K3MD.  We could barely hear each other, but we completed the
QSO.

--PQ is consistently my most difficult section, but I've gotten it both modes
the last two years -- "Merci!"

--When S & P'ing, don't ignore weak stations.  They might be the section you
need.

--Take the time to thank ops who are providing rare sections, both during the
contest and in e-mails afterward.  Let people know how much their activity is
appreciated, and chances are they'll be back.  VY1JA (great signal in NV) is one
of the best examples -- thanks Jay, and thanks also to VY1MB.

Other SSB "It's great to hear ops active" sections this year include:
Newfoundland/Labrador (VO1MP, VO2ML), MAR (VE1AOE, VE1OP), VE2 (VE2AWR-even
though we didn't work, VE2DO), VT (superb activity), NNY (K2NNY), DE (N3DXX,
W3PP), WV (WA8WV, N8RAT), SC (N2XD, KB4GYT), ID-MT-UT-WY (far more activity than
usual), EWA (you're no longer a struggle-FB!), ND (WB0O-you're
Mr. Reliable, N7IV, WD0DAI), SF (W6BIP would be proud), AK (thanks for the
activity, and we all miss you, KL7Y), PAC-PR-VI (KH6VV, KH7X, WP3R, WP2Z, and
the other VI station I heard).  I know there are omissions in this list, but
it's a start.  To everyone I worked, a sincere, "Thank you!)

In closing, let me honor my dear departed Lhasa apso, Rusty, who became a Silent
Key at age 21 in August.  He was impervious to the noise generated by
contesting, faithfully and peacefully sleeping beside my operating position for
hours during countless contests.  He was the best second op I'll ever have.

73 from Nevada, and here's to a double Clean Sweep for all next year,

John, N7ON