[3830] SS SSB K6KM(AE6Y) Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6KM(AE6Y) Single Op HP
From: andrew.faber@gte.net (andrew.faber@gte.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:17:40 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6KM
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: K6KM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SV
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   85
   40:  260
   20:  276
   15:  529
   10:  539
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Bill (K6KM) and Ginny (N6RER) for being superb hosts, and for letting
me use their fb station in the California foothills.   Ginny even baked an apple
pie for the post-contest dinner.  I don't feel I did it justice (the station
that is, not the pie), but did do about 15% better than I have ever done from my
home QTH.
  Probably the most fun was actually getting respectable rate on 40m, which I
have never, ever done from home on phone.  In fact, I seem to have missed my
internal goal of 1700 Qs due mainly to inability to get a good rate on 20 in the
afternoons, particularly in the last two hours of the contest, when everything
just seemed to fall apart.  Not sure why, but overall rate on 40 was actually
slightly better than on 20.  80 was no fun at all, but 10 was delightful.
  Lost some time in the first hour (arghh!) due to a programming glitch -- I had
added a minor feature to my software, but I discovered on the 20th Q that it had
the unintended consequence of erasing the entry boxes if the callsign being
logged contained an "X".  I had foolishly forgotten W6NL's maxim that you never
change the spark plugs after final testing before the race!  Once I figured out
what was wrong, I used a former version of the program that was on the laptop,
but it was a hectic 10 minutes or so till I got it squared away.
  Rigs:
  2 FT1000MP's, 2 87A's
  Antennas:
  10: 4/4/4/4