[3830] CQWW CW NS3T SOSB/40 LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NS3T SOSB/40 LP
From: ns3t@arrl.net (ns3t@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:35:16 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NS3T
Operator(s): NS3T
Station: NS3T

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:
   40:  201    21       80
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

My goal was pretty simple - beat the 3-land record for this contest
in single-op-40 meter (low power) and if my score holds, I did just that!
But it was anything but easy.

I started fine with 34 S&P QSO's in the first hour.  But by around
0130, the Europeans went away, and never came back for my inverted
vees until around 0700.  It became a real slugfest just to get a
few contacts in the log each hour almost the rest of the contest.

I stayed with it though and was rewarded with some great contacts
in the wee hours on both nights.  On Saturday morning, I got
ZL6QH and a few JA's in the log with the sun already up here.
The second night was marked by getting thru a pileup for OY1CT.

With my simple inverted vees, all I could do was S&P, and my
weak signal meant some missed chances for zones and countries.
I clearly heard zones 12, 19, 27, 29, 30 and 36 several times
on 40 meters, but I just couldn't break thru.  And I never
could find KL7 and zone one.  Oh well.

I have to thank all of the VE's who helped my cause - of my just
over 200 contacts, 30 of them were from Canadian hams!  Plus,
my only KH6 was from a VA7 who was in Hawaii.

I'm no expert, but conditions seemed a bit suspect at times,
especially on night one.  Of course, some big antennas might
help avoid all the repeats for stations trying to dig my
signal out of the noise.  I really like the way my NS3T call
sounds in CW - unfortunately, it seems to be easily read as
NN3T, NI3T, NH3T, NS3A, NS3D, NS2T and NS4T.

Jamie NS3T