[3830] CQWW CW W9WI SOAB(A) LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W9WI SOAB(A) LP
From: w9wi@bellsouth.net (w9wi@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:43:39 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W9WI
Operator(s): W9WI
Station: W9WI

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: TN (04)
Operating Time (hrs): ?

  160:    7     4        4
   80:   21    15        8
   40:  107    58       16
   20:  133    77       25
   15:  302   102       29
   10:  266    95       26
------------------------------
Total:  836   351      108  Total Score = 1,050,651

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Not a whole lot of Qs - no success in running, it was almost all S&P.
Conditions were simply *weird*.

First shot at the assisted category.  I thought going QRP in ARRL DX was an act
of masochism - SOA low-power raises it to a whole new level.  (I note the CQWW
records list doesn't acknowledge anyone trying SOA QRP!)

MANY thanks to K1EU whose telnet site I was using, and to K1TTT whose site
pointed me there.  It worked flawlessly.

Lots of interesting mults out there!  Zone 35 was unusually well-represented.
So was Asia.  It was rather frustrating having XW1IC CQ in my face on a
completely clear frequency on 15 meters Saturday night, but the other mults make
up for it.

What happened in Hawaii??  Three QSOs with Zone 24, three with Zone 28, and
*NONE* with Zone 31???

Seemed to be more people than usual failing to ID.  That accounted for at least
3/4 of my dupes.  Also had our usual complement of people who call CQ without
bothering to listen.  Sometimes I think there's an unwritten rule that prohibits
anyone west of the Appalachians from running.

The weather was way too nice here in Tennessee.  Finally gave up around 2100z
Sunday, stuck the laundry on the clothesline (didn't think that'd be happening
any more this year..), got on the bike, and rode 30km to take a QSL to the
Pleasant View Post Office.  (no, I don't live 15km from the post office.  Long
path.)  Got home in time for the last two hours.

Plenty of interesting QSOs, interesting conditions, nice people, and the world's
best CW ops.  Gotta love the CQWW.

(more statistics by 0600z on http://www.geocities.com/w9wi/wwcw02.htm .)