[3830] CQWW CW 6Y0A(W7CB) SOSB/160 QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 6Y0A(W7CB) SOSB/160 QRP
From: k2kw@prodigy.net (k2kw@prodigy.net)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:57:37 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 6Y0A
Operator(s): W7CB
Station: 6Y0A

Class: SOSB/160 QRP
QTH: Jamaica
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  493    11       26
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Larry, W7CB, gets the cotton ears award...  worst static we have heard in all
the years coming down here.  Min S9 static most of the contest, often pegging
the S meter.  I never thought it would be possible to be an alligator on 160
while running QRP!

Large storm surge on Monday with 12-15' waves (far away storm - was sunny here)
nearly wiped out all the antennas.  What made it more dramatic was at this new
QTH, we are on 12' cliffs...  waves were breaking over the top of the cliff, and
often sending the water another 20-30' above the cliff.  At that time only the
first of the 2 ele 160 was installed, and that antenna was completely damaged
(half of it went out to sea...)  Luckily we had not put up the 2nd element, or
it too would have been gone.  A number of other antennas had bent elements, but
survived, even though they had fallen down from the waves.

We had to wait out the storm surge until we felt it was safe enough to approach
the antennas at the edge of the cliff to try and fix them...  all in all, we
lost about 1 day of installation time.  We got REALLY nervous when another storm
surge hit Saturday night during the contest, and we were concerned we would
loose the antennas again...

Unless the log gets dinged too bad by log checking, it should survive log as a
new world QRP record on 160. Unless someone else was crazy enough to do QRP
single band operations (even on other bands), this operation should end up with
all QRP single band records being set by 6Y_A in the past 2 efforts (160, 80,
40, 20 this year, and 15, 10 last year).

Great job Larry!

Kenny K2KW