[3830] CQWW CW VA3WN SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VA3WN SOAB LP
From: va3wn@rac.ca (va3wn@rac.ca)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:18:54 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VA3WN
Operator(s): VA3WN
Station: VA3WN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Sudbury, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   95     2        2
   40:  137    15       32
   20:  173    13       17
   15:   65    12       31
   10:   31     8       16
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Murphy was way overdue for a visit to my shack, but I was still surprised when
he showed up.  My antenna tuner let go 2 hours into the contest (of course, no
backup), and it was a struggle to keep it together after that.  I could convince
it to work for periods of 5 - 20 minutes at a time, after which the SWR would
jump to infinity and I'd have to break off a run (and lose my frequency) to set
things right.

To add to the frustration, sigs on Friday night sounded like I was operating
from the ocean floor.  Condx were not good in Northern Ontario (laugh all you
want, VE6'ers), and low band QRN made copy really difficult.  I decided at the
last minute to go unassisted (I usually like to use packet to find the "new
ones"), and had no luck finding the mults on my own.  Good lesson learned about
the difference between assisted and unassisted.  You've gotta move around!

I was planning a serious effort for this test, but ended up having to go in to
work on Sunday, so I could only operate until late Saturday night.  To add to
things, I got back into Sudbury from a quick business trip to Toronto only 1.5
hours before the start of the test.  Excuses, excuses... ;)

The bright spot in all of this is that while down in Toronto, I got to sit down
and shoot the breeze for a while with Bob VE3KZ and Don VE3BUC.  Worth the trip
down just for that, hi.

Thx to all for the Q's, especially to those who stuck with me to make the QSO
through multiple repeats.

Go Go CCO!

73 Travis VA3WN
Secretary, Contest Club Ontario