[3830] CQWW CW N8SM SOAB(A) HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8SM SOAB(A) HP
From: millersg@dma.org (millersg@dma.org)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:59:59 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N8SM
Operator(s): N8SM
Station: N8SM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:   22     9       15
   80:   73    19       54
   40:  285    34      116
   20:  218    36      120
   15:  477    35      134
   10:  442    32      123
------------------------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

The good:
1) New antennas for 10 & 15
2) Receiving "big sig 5nn 27" when I called 4G1A on 15 (see #1)
3) Multipliers - DXCC on 4 bands
4) 6-band QSOs with C6AKP, EA8ZS, HC8N, HQ3J, J75A, PJ2T, PT5A, V26K
and ZF1A

The bad:
1) Line noise up to S8 Friday and Saturday, thus was a DXer and
nearly 100% S&P for the first ~36 hours of the contest
2) Unexpected power outage 1305-1507z Sunday only 3 QSOs into my
first 15m run after the line noise had disappeared
3) Too much station work with no rest before the 'test - slept 3+
hours both nights
4) Not setting up the DX Telnet to Writelog integration before the
contest - figured it out Saturday morning after RTFM

The ugly:
1) Packet piles

I found V47KP on 15 just after he had only been there a short while.
There were about 3 or 4 stations calling and I listened to 2 or 3
more QSOs before spotting him.  After the spot, there was a roaring
pile and with non-stop calling for almost 2 full minutes before
there was enough of a lull for a reply.  His rate must have dropped
to less than half the pre-spot rate.  Next time I'll just work him,
move on and hope he has a few more minutes of steady pace and relative
peace.