[3830] CQWW CW GM4YXI SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GM4YXI SOAB HP
From: k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk (k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 06:01:44 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GM4YXI
Operator(s): GM4YXI
Station: GM4YXI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ellon
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:  126     8       43
   80:  508    16       78
   40:  644    22       77
   20:  423    29       77
   15:  522    29       77
   10:  705    25       80
------------------------------

Club: North of Scotland CG

Comments:

Another aurora-blighted weekend. 80m was probably the star band (albeit a rather
faint one!). 40m has great potential but a combination of being in Eu and a
quarter wave vertical antenna makes it hard to realise. Staying in the chair
ranked with propagation as the biggest problem (apart from questionable CW
ability). Had unexpected work issues take me out on Saturday (daylight) morning
and all Saturday evening/night was lost.
I really enjoyed the whole event though I found it really hard going 'cos my CW
is not really up to the job. By Sunday night..and probably before..I was really
struggling to read the code, so apologies for all those fills!
I can but echo comments I have already seen here and elsewhere. Conditions, esp
on the high bands, were PUNK at this QTH. Some operators (and not ones
CW-challenged like me) seem to think that any combination of letters is a reply
to them. Just because 'you' are in a hurry to work me, does not give 'you' the
right to be first in the queue. I am in just as much of a hurry and this sort of
practice slows everyone down. 40m in Eu, even on CW, is a zoo....here, no-one
has any right to any frequency, even if you've been running it for some time!
All this sounds more 'negative' than is fair. I had a great time. I just need to
improve my CW and try to make SO2R work on this mode. This weekend, I didn't
even attempt any passes until Sunday afternoon.
Best Wishes to all
Keith GM4YXI