[3830] CQWW CW VP9/W6PH SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VP9/W6PH SOAB LP
From: w6ph@arrl.net (w6ph@arrl.net)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:01:48 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9/W6PH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:  198     6       13
   80:  464    15       49
   40:  762    20       67
   20:  737    22       70
   15:  892    23       88
   10:  734    22       79
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  TS940S  Antennas:  Verticals (R6000, AV5)
My score is down about 10% from last year.  Last year I started out on 20 and
had 360 QSOs before I went to 80.  This year I had 10 QSOs in 10 minutes and
headed for 80.  I was ahead of last year at halftime but couldn't keep the runs
going the second day.  I stayed high in the bands as I was intimidated by all
the loud signals.  I had to use the SSB filter and VBT for most of the contest
as signals through the CW filter were too weak to copy most of the time.  The
bands seemed to open late and close early and signals seemed weaker in general.
There were a lot of DXpeditions this year to the Caribbean probably as a result
of the contest being before Thanksgiving.  Ten meters was open to W1 this year
although signals were pretty weak.  So I have a lot of 6 banders this year.
This is probably my last time to operate the CQWW CW from off shore.  I still
haven't received the certificates from Year 2000 and Year 2001.
The ARRL sends their certificates.  So I will be at VP9 for the ARRL CW and SSB
using the Bermuda DX Club call VP9I.  Bottom line is that I really enjoyed it
but still have to figure out what went wrong.  I stayed with VP9GE and
appreciate his hospitality.  A good weekend.  QSLs sent direct to my homecall
will be answered.  73, Kurt, W6PH