[3830] CQWW CW VE3FU SOSB/40 LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3FU SOSB/40 LP
From: ve3fu@rac.ca (ve3fu@rac.ca)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:22:12 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  575    26       87
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Equipment: TS-950SD, 4-sqr

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong.  I've been reading some of the
other stories on 3830 and everyone keeps mentioning the great condx on 40m.  A
lot of stations had more QSOs on 40m than any other band.

I was expecting to do a lot better, since I had made what I thought were
considerable station improvements since the last time I went SO/40/LP.  In 2000
I was using a TS-430 (no filters) and a 2-el delta loop up 55 feet, compared to
a TS-950SD and a 4-square this year.  In 2000 I set the VE3 40m LP record and
the Zone 4 40m LP record with 894Q 23Z and 87DXCC for 231,800 points..  This
year I had a hard time getting any sort of run into EU.

I'm still amazed that in terms of the number of QSOs per country, JA was 6th (7
QSOs)!!  The only countries to beat JA were W(349), DL(17),  HA(12), EA(9), and
I(8).  Imagine, I worked more JA's than SP(2), SM(2), OM(2), LZ(3), OH(3),
UT(3), LY(4), OZ(4), GM(5), YT(5), 9A(5), UA(6), G(6), and F(6)!!!!  Who says JA
activity is declining - I think EU activity is declining :=)

I worked more ZS's (2) than OE, ON, ES, ZL, LX, PA, YO, HB9, GW, all 1 each.

In 2000 I worked 17 UR and 10 OM.  This year, despite calling many, I never
worked either of them until the last hour of the contest.

I heard at least 15 more countries and 4 more zones than I was able to work.

The funniest moment for me was duping NY4A, thinking he was 9Y4A.  It took me a
while to figure out why he sent me 599 05 :=)

Definite lowlight was calling a "station on an island off the west coast of
Africa."  He worked someone and asked them to move to 80m.  I think "Perfect!
Here's my new CQ frequency with a lot of stations here listening already!".  I
call CQ and get an instant pileup.  20 MINUTES later, the same "station on an
island off the west coast of Africa" starts CQing again on the exact same
frequency he left!  I'll let you guess who won the frequency :=(

73,

Chris VE3FU / VO2AC