[3830] ARRL 160 AG0T Single Op QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AG0T Single Op QRP
From: enders@bolshoi.cc.misu.nodak.edu (enders@bolshoi.cc.misu.nodak.edu)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 10:53:21 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AG0T
Operator(s): AG0T
Station: AG0T

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: ND
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 105  Sections = 33  Countries = 2  Total Score = 6,930

Club:

Comments:

First and foremost, a big THANK YOU to all the ops who
took the time to dig my QRP signal out of the mud.  You
guys are the BEST!!!

What a gas!!!  I've been QRV on 160m for about a month,
and this was my first ARRL 160.  Most folks would think
I was crazy for even attempting 160 with all the
restrictions and compromises in my setup and location.
Well, I'm a mite tetched, so I got the station together
and hit the contest with rather modest expectations.
ALL my expectations were exceeded in spades! :-)

Conditions were OK for the first night, and I was more
than happy with my results for round one.  Round two
was a horse of a different colour...  I got on early
to hopefully get some more easterly QSOs, but the band
was NOT good here.  Spent 3+ hours with NOTHING to show
for it.  Guess we played out the band the night before,
and it was late to wake up in this neck of the woods, but
once it did, things started happening. :-)

Absolute thrill of the evening was calling CQ late, and
having two guys call me at once.  Not that this is in and
of itself special, but one of the callers was YV2ZM!
I just about fell out of my chair! :-)

Station setup as follows:

Rig:  Yaesu FT-817 w/300 Hz CW filter.  4W out
Antenna:  Butternut HF-2V w/160m kit

Only had ~15 KHz bandwidth with the antenna.  Had
to run out at intervals and tweak the coil to QSY
any great distance.  Got my exercise! :-)  Did the
job, though.

Anyhow, the contest was an absolute BLAST!  I'll
be back! :-)