[3830] ARRL 160 N5RG Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N5RG Single Op HP
From: n5rg@itexas.net (n5rg@itexas.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 14:23:34 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N5RG
Operator(s): N5RG
Station: N5RG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 21

Total:  QSOs = 951  Sections = 76  Countries = 12  Total Score = 175,824

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

QSO last year 864. This year 951.  Mults last year 79. This year 88.
Score up by 30K this year. Put 250hz filter in the 765 and added 880' beverage
to the east are the only changes I can think of in the station except for also
terminating the beverages. (Now I know why that chapter is in the book!! HI)
This seemed like 2 contests from here in NTX. Put 600 stations in the log on
Friday night with no problem. Rate meter seldom below 80.
I must admit I was not looking forward to Sat. night and the 10 per hour grind
in this contest and to top it off the band sounded terrible 2100Z. Around 0100Z
noticed east coast stations really coming thru loud. Rate going up and hearing
stations not heard the previous night.
Was CQing around 1826 and ON4WW called in (Tnx Mark) followed by F5LGE at
0529Z
Wow this just doesnt happen here in NTX. Got QRM'd off that QRG so tuned up the
band to find YO2LDC calling CQ on 1829 with no takers. Man I got excited cuz he
was a new one for me. One call and worked him. Also just does not happen from
here.
Found G4 station calling CQ in the DX window with a really loud signal but he
was not hearing any of the callers. Called him a couple of times with no sucess
and moved to 1841 knowing the band was open to Europe. Called CQ and OK2BGK
answered @ 0559Z.
Then they were gone. Band opening was 30 min long at this QTH.
Did not hear any other DX until 0700 when I worked EA6 in the DX window.
I know the EU's are not a big deal to you guys on the east coast but they are
pretty hard to come by here in NTX especiallly during a contest with all the key
clix etc on the band.
Took a 2 hour nap from 0800Z until 1000Z. Worked 17 JA's and and VK in the
predawn hours to wind things up.
Heard no EU or JA on 7 Dec so was very glad the band opened a bit for the second
day here.
Thanks to everyone for the Q's, courtesy etc.
Really enjoyed this contest.
I am sorry to have missed PY2NDX as I do not hear well to the South.
Also understand from locals I missed HI who was in the DX window.

Missed: PR, AK, MB and YT.
DX worked: EA6, F, FM, JA, OK, ON, P4, VK, VP5, XE, YO, ZF

Equipment:
IC765 and AL1200
N4XX coaxial invt. L(described in January 2001 CQ mag) bent @ 65' up the tower
with 50 1/4 wave radials.
RX  is 880' beverage X 4 , E, NE, NW, and SW using #14 stranded copper from Home
Depot. They have been up 2 plus years with no failures.
Writelog for logging.