[3830] ARRL 160 NA4M Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NA4M Single Op HP
From: na4m@arrl.net (na4m@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 14:45:53 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NA4M
Operator(s): NA4M
Station: NA4M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 133  Sections = 46  Countries = 3  Total Score = 13,622

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Didn't start until considerably after dark Friday.
Started off by noticing that my NE-SW K9AY receive loop was suddenly dead.
Hmmmm....grab flashlight and trudge outside in dark.   At first glance
everything seems OK but then notice that one side of the NE-SW loop is broken
with the wire strung out in grass.   Probably one of the local whitetail
population got hung up in it. The deer herds are really getting to be a problem.
 The Army Corps of Engineers has closed one of our close by lake parks this week
to trap deer in the park and probably relocate them.  Wish they'd come get a
bunch out of our neighborhood.

All Search & Pounce with some Sleep & Pounce per KI5DR thrown in...
160m seemed pretty quiet here also.  No DX to speak of that I could hear of
other than the 3 Carib while I was on.

Seemed to be plenty of activity and as noted by others it was very common to
have multiple stations on or very near to someone else's run freq.   I'll bet
there will be a lot of QSO's thrown out of logs due to some ops thinking they
worked someone when I fact they were working someone else just off their freq.
This seems to be a real problem.  I suppose it is more noticeable here in the
central part of the US as we can hear east, west, and the middle of the country
all at the same time.   Others are obviously not hearing what we hear or they
would not be so close to each other.

The 160m DX window was a challenge with some rock-crusher signals being so close
to the window that key clicks smothered part of the window.

Fun anyway...