[3830] ARRL 160 K7TD Single Op LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K7TD Single Op LP
From: k7td@msn.com (k7td@msn.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:14:35 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K7TD
Operator(s): K7TD
Station: K7TD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Colorado Springs
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 215  Sections = 66  Countries = 2  Total Score = 29,852

Club:

Comments:

This contest always remind me of what amateur radio is all about when it can't
be your No1 priority in life.  I got off work later than expected and the sun
had already dropped over the front range.  Here I am trying to shoot arrows in
the dark without arousing suspicion in my convenant restricted neighborhood.  I
managed to get a 160 ft inverted L into the trees but who said you could
properly match to 50ohms used a series capacitor?  I never could get it to work
properly so I figured out how to load up my 40 meter delta loop so I could at
least get on the air and make a few QSO's.   I was able to put out about 20
watts before the SWR protection started folding back.  In between all the
craziness that goes on this time of year, then next day I was able to shorten
the 3/8 L to about 1/4, sting more radials and finally obtained a decent match.
This was at 10:30 PM after attending my company's formal xmas party.  Amazing
what you can do in that state.....did I mention that it about 10 degrees F and
pitch black?

Anyway I had loads of fun the next 4.5 hours working a ton of stations with very
good signals.  And most of them could hear too!

Next year I'll be more prepared and try to keep my schedule clear.  And Jack,
thanks for giving me the impetus to get something on the air this year!

73  Terry