[3830] ARRL 160 K9GX Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9GX Single Op HP
From: k9gx@n4gn.com (k9gx@n4gn.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 21:57:08 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9GX
Operator(s): K9GX
Station: K9GX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 136  Sections = 47  Countries = 2  Total Score = 13,769

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

This was my first solo effort in the ARRL 160. Installed a new 1/4 wave inverted
L specifically for this contest. While I did manage to get the antenna installed
and tweaked and 220vac service into the shack (for the amp) ahead of the weekend
unfortunately I was still trying to load a copy of TR log into my laptop at 07
UT on Saturday morning. Did finally get QRV about 0945 UT.

One of my primary motivations in participating in this contest was improving my
CW skills. Thanks to several ops for their patience with the "AGN" for copying
the report...especially AA1K!

So why were so many domestic stations operating in the "DX window"??? The band
sounded like it was wide open above 1880??? c'mon guys! I could hear another
"layer" of stations below the big signals..but a little pistol in the midwest
hasn't a prayer of working through this wall of signals.

Really had a great time here! One of the highlights was working N7KE and then
hearing him working JAs! I couldn't copy the JAs but could hear them at the
noise level.

The next projects here will be adding more radials for the "L" and a receive
antenna toward Eu.

73,

Mark
K9GX